Friday, November 25, 2011

I feel like my wife is trying to be my mother. Any advice?

I can completely relate, as I have often caught myself ';mothering '; my husband. It is usually to keep him in good health. Caring and loving someone can often be overdone and become Mothering or even Smothering!





Let your wife know that you realize she loves you and cares for your well being. Try to be patient with her and perhaps ask what she may be worrying about. Is it your health, safety when you are driving or working? Tell he about the precautions you take in these areas and that you are self aware. She may not realize the extent of her ';protectiveness'; and it may surprise her. Try to be sincere and sensitive to her feelings. One boyfriend said to me once that he has a mother and he is starting to look at me in a maternal way. WOW! That made me snap out of it.





Example: My husband has a constricted esophagus and food gets stuck in his throat. We were in ER last week because of this. I have been smothering him and I know it! He simply told me that he loves me and knows I am concerned but my ';telling him to chew his food well so it goes down'; made him feel like an infant. I had a good laugh and realized what I was doing. I now keep this in check.I feel like my wife is trying to be my mother. Any advice?
Asking the question here first off isnt going to fix it. Talking to your wife and opening the lines of communication are the first key to figuring out why she feels she needs to treat you in this way. As a woman we are predestined to take care of everyone in our lives, and in a way mother everyone we know. But when it comes to extremes we generally have a reason we feel we need to do this. Once you figure out the issue that is causing the problem you can work on it together.I feel like my wife is trying to be my mother. Any advice?
Do you have kids? My fiance %26amp; I don't have any kids %26amp; we find the dynamic to be totally different. My friends that have children get so used to directing everybody %26amp; controlling everything, that they do the same thing to their husband. We always think it's funny b/c the dude is just totally stunned %26amp; whipped, has no idea what he did wrong. My fiance would boot my @ss outta here if I spoke to him in a derogatory way, and vice versa. I've only seen the Mom complex come out if they have kids.
She is more protective for you.That's definitely her love but if you can explain how you feel about it as she may not even realize what she is doing that may help her and you'll have better relationship.W omen's are sensitive so give your feedback in a positive way.
communication helps. Maybe she does enough stuff to clean up after you that she feels like she needs to be your mother. Talk and figure this out so that you can have a good partnership.
Tell her!!! Communication is the key. I felt the same way about my husband but thought it was probably the 8year age difference. We talked a while after an heated argument and it has gotten much better.
Well, usually guys attract women who remind them of their mother so what did you expect? Go with the flow or put your foot down.
draw some boundaries with her and keep them.....she should not be wiping your mouth when you eat.
Stop acting like you need a mother!!
Stop acting like a kid
Talk to her!
Stop acting like you need a mother.





fs

No comments:

Post a Comment