Friday, November 25, 2011

Need Advice-Mother in law problem?

Need help with mother in law situation?


I need some advice as to how to deal with this situation. My husband and I are potty training our 20 month old daughter. We introduced the potty to her a few months ago by buying a little potty from IKEA that was like $4. It's not anything special, quite simple actually and it was really just to introduce the idea to her. I have always planned on buying a bigger, more comfortable potty seat for her when we got more serious about potty training. (BTW, she has been doing really well with this cheap little potty!). Anyway, money has been tight and I just haven't picked up the better potty yet. I just had a conversation with my mother in law a week or two ago and told her that I am planning on buying her a bigger potty soon, and that I would just put this little one in my bathroom so she has one on each side of the house. So tonight my mother in law emails me and says ';Good news, I bought her a new potty, so I'll just trade you for the little one and keep that at my house.'; UGH! I'm sorry, I don't mean to be ungrateful at all, but I would have liked to pick out my own daughter's potty seat, and I just told her I was planning on keeping the other one! I swear she doesn't listen to a word I say. I'm so frustrated because she thinks she can just decide for us how things are going to be. I'm very hesitant to disagree with her because she likes her other daughter in law SO much more than me (although I don't know why, I do so much more for the family and I am so much nicer to all of them than her!) so I'm always afraid to ';rock the boat'; because I do want her to like me. But, when it comes to my child I'm sorry, I'm the boss, not her! How do I respectfully tell her that I didn't ask her to buy my daughter a potty seat and I wasn't planning on giving her my other one?


On a side note, my husband is partially to blame for this. He just told me that he did have a conversation with her a few days ago and she told him that she was going to buy this potty and take our other one. He never consulted with me on it, and I had no idea until now. I'm frustrated with him for not saying ';no'; to begin with. How do I also deal with that? He just doesn't think about this stuff!Need Advice-Mother in law problem?
My mother-in-law fed the kids candy before asking me if it was alright. So, I can understand your complex situation here. But, when money is tight, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.





All she wants to do is help you. Your resentment is unrealistic to me. She isn't trying to buy you, she isn't wanting to show you up or anything, she's just wanting to help. My mother-in-law (as I see it now) was all about making her grand-kids be excited and happy, and connect that feeling to her.





If you say anything, make sure it is only a thank you! This is a log in your eye, but in mine it is but a speck of dust. Just step back, and if it makes you chuckle, imagine all that ';help'; is for a bare butt, and a lot of poop!Need Advice-Mother in law problem?
I would let her buy the potty for your child, and then go buy the other one anyways.
How about if MIL keeps the potty chair at her house?





Or, you could tell her hubby was wrong when he told her yes. (Boys still love to make their Moms happy)
You are being ridiculus.. The MIL is just being nice meant no harm. Relax and buy your own.. Thats all. She is trying to help you. maybe the other DIL wont ****** about a potty!!
Your hubby will never agree with you. Moms let their boys get married and always think that they have bought daughter in law for entertainment of their son. Do not worry. Keep the new one and let her be happy with the old one. Buy another one for you. Even if she buys a big house for your baby, ur baby will be yours not her's. So you are the Boss anyways.


Take it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment