Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Anyone else feel horrible about being a working mother? Any advice?

My little boy is three months old and I will be going back to work this next week. I feel absolutely terrible, I'm a teacher and feel that I'm cheating my son, spending more time with other children than I do with him.





I already feel bad about the fact that I was unable to nurse him and now this...I want him to be smart, well adjusted and above all, happy, and I hope that I'm doing the right thing.





Has anyone else been through this? Did you have any guilt? If so, how did you deal with it?Anyone else feel horrible about being a working mother? Any advice?
What you are going through is normal. Many working moms feel guilty about going back to work. But know that your working isn't going to cause him to not love your or grow up into some criminal. YOu are setting a great example for him by showing him that people have to work for a living, and then coming home at the end of the day and showering him with a mother's love. I'm sure you are a great mom!Anyone else feel horrible about being a working mother? Any advice?
Of course I have guilt! However, I see that she is growing up just fine, and she is happy, and has a lot of people close to her that love her and help in her learning and growing. She is everything you mentioned, smart, well adjusted, and happy. I work full time, and I do often feel bad, but I also know I'm not cut out to be a full time stay at home mom either. Since I work, my daughter has been exposed to many people (sitter, her family,and their friends), and has had many experiences she wouldn't have had just staying home with me all of the time. So those are the things I try to think about. Also, just keep in mind to make the most out of the time you have together. It's easier said than done for me, but I keep in mind that even if I'm doing something that has to be done (laundry, grocery shopping), my daughter and I are together doing it, and she learns things from that too.
we ALL feel that way, hun, i have three kids and everytime i had to go back to work, i had mommy guilt... i mean, i know what i am doing is what is right for me and my kids, but it still bothered me that i wasnt able to be home full time... you are doing the right thing working and providing... as long as you trust the sitter, you're ok!
No, ';everyone'; doesn't go through this.


I never had a moment's guilt about being a working mom because I knew my kids were with a great caregiver when I couldn't be there. Women who MUST work are less likely to feel the guilt. They don't LIKE leaving their kids with daycare, but they know it's what must be done.





I'm sorry you feel so badly. I wish I could make you feel better but there is nothing anyone can say to do that. Enjoy and make special the time you do have with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment