Saturday, August 21, 2010

Does anyone have advice for a single mother ?

i have a 19 month old and all she says is no to every thing and i was wondering if there was any advice to help her say Other words and not use no as much. thank you for your helpDoes anyone have advice for a single mother ?
Wow, as a mother of 3 I completely understand your frustration. Please don't take this the wrong way, but how often do you use the word no? Frequently children mimic the words that they hear from their parents and the people around them. I have always tried to ';redirect'; my child instead of saying the word ';no.'; For example, if you see your daughter playing with your food, you would say: ';Please don't play with your food, honey. If you are finished, then we should clear your plate. If not, then please use your fork. If you continue to play with your food, I will clear your plate.'; I';m sure you get the point. Similarly, if your daughter is making (as an example) a loud noise, you might say ';wow- what a loud noise! now let's see what kind of noise these toys make,'; to redirect her attention. I know that it's hard. Good luck!Does anyone have advice for a single mother ?
Whether it is by choice or not, being a single mother is hard and I am sorry you have to go through it alone. I did it for 7 years. Hopefully you have support from family or friends.


Kids sometimes get hooked on a word and say it over and over again for whatever reason. Some children are mockingbirds and repeat what they hear. I would suggest taking time out every day and read to her. Get all the books you can and make a habit of reading everyday. You will not only be spending quality time with her, but you will be introducing new words with every book. You can make it fun with using different voices. The word ';no'; is of course is very negative. Try turning the negative situation into a positive one! Every time she says that ask her not to say that and redirect her positively by showing her what you want her to do. Good luck to you.
This is a common trait in babies who are learning to talk. They say, '; No ! ';, to everything and that word will change to saying, '; MORE ! ';. And on and on.


If you can read books for babies, children books, or play cassettes, Cds or Videos of Baby games it will help the learning process for your baby. I worked with my sister, who is also a single parent and As the brother I wanted to help her. I read little books with colorful pictures all summer. She woul watch me reading and look at the pictures. She went from saying, '; No ! '; to, '; BAD'; to '; GIRL'; , Drink ';, to '; Food';, to'; Momma'; , to ';train'; then, '; Smell';, then,like over night, several weeks into me reading to her she was putting words together.


She is now saying words together , like, '; Momma smell, '; Bad Girl';, to '; Drink Momma';.


From what I read on helping babies learn to speak, the babies are trying to copy the sounds they hear and repeat this until this word has meaning and then they pick up another word.


I really enjoyed helping my sister with teaching her baby to talk. It was a special bond, until her baby sai, '; Dada';, then '; Papa';.


Little babies remember everythingand will repeat words because that word gets them attention.


Every time I fed her I said out loud what it was she was eating. She learned by tasting and then seeing an apple. It issomething that takes patience and time. I loved it and now she is almost talking. She is putting words together and she really enjoys , Seseme Street and Barney! We also play lots of Disney movies for her and she will talk to the television.


Babies grow up so fast.


I found that at feeding time I could say words and show her pictures and she would repeat the words. There are so many books in your local library that can help you teach your daughter to speak. This using only one word will pass and the she will be learning words everyday.
When my daughter started saying No we turned it into a game because she was saying it so often. It's a fun word I guess. So every time she said ';NO!'; We'd look at her and very quickly respond ';YESSSSSSSS!'; and REALLY linger on that S cause S-sounds can be more fun than O-sounds LOL. She'd start cracking up because we were being so silly with her and we were having fun with the words. We'd go back and forth and back and forth for bit and then I'd swap it on her and say No to her and then she'd look at me with a big grin and shout ';YESSSSSS!'; LOL I was like FINALLY! After a month or so of the game she got bored with the word No and only uses it during temper tantrums or when we ask her certain things that require a yes or no response. We still do the game time to time like when it's time for a bath, she looks at me and smiles ';Nooooo....'; and I'll grab her up and tickle her and respond ';Yesss...'; LOL Find your own way to turn it around to something cute and fun between the two of you so it's not nearly as irritating. She'll move on to something new before you know it! Best of luck!



Does she know why shy is saying no?..I mean does she understand what this word means?? If she doesn't know what the meaning is and she is using it as a Habit then correct her. If you ask her ';do you want a snack'; and she says NO. but she is still reaching for the snack..say yes. Keep repeating the word yes to her until she repeats it back.. This way she will understand that when you ask her a question she either says no or yes. You can use this all different ways..just get her to memorize other words. Almost all babies do this. Hope i helped





Loveislife1804 (I.M. me if you want)
From my experience, I learned that my children at the phase of saying no were learning who the adult was and what authority that I had over them. I look back now and realized that they were only repeating a word that I taught them. I was mostly saying, NO! Don't touch! Or something along those lines. So they were only doing what they saw mom doing not realizing that they can't always tell mom no. Children at this age need to learn proper boundaries. They need to learn that no can be used by them to protect themselves. I learned that children should not be taught to NEVER tell mom no but that it is okay to say it in certain situations. I have an excellent resource for you called Boundaries with Kids by Dr. James Townsend and Dr. Henry Cloud
Yes...get up in morning and go to bed at night. In time your baby will get tired of saying no. I have seen my daughter do the ';no'; thing. It must be exhilarating for a little person to exercise free will and put their little foot down. But the appeal will wear off...unless it works. Having baby say no...no big deal. Letting baby make all the decisions BIG DEAL. Deciding it is too difficult to fight and letting baby have it's way is rewarding the behavior and is asking for a discipline and anger management problem down the road. You know best, (most of the time) better to teach your baby to deal with little disappointments now and learn socially acceptable ways to resolve them. With luck and the wind at your back you won't have an overbearing adolescent throwing temper tantrums when they are nearly your height.
I'd say just be patient with her. She will eventually get the hang of other words. We started teaching my God daughter the sounds animals make around 19 months. Start off with the easy ones like cow says moo. Cat says meow. Dog says woof woof. etc. It's not very hard at all... but she won't be able to say words that start with a ';m'; for a while. A child has to learn to make the ';m'; sound. So it will come out more like ';boo'; or ';beow.'; Don't worry she'll be fine... just try to teach her other words.
Hun i understand where your coming from Thomas pictured left has just learnt to say 'MO' which means no to him i do say it a lot and he has picked up on it, kids do things like this sit and read to her pointing to the words as you go she will pick up new words soon i am sure !
i have a 2 year old and a 6 month old. things like that always happens, it is JUST a phase. i promise.


try repeating other words to her. pretty soon you wont have to worry about her only saying no. she will repeat everything you say too!!!


lol, so watch out for that.
How cute they go through stages where they find words that they like my son who turned 2 in may all he says is why!!! LOL!! I just answer him until he gets tired of asking. She is still young her word will change just bare with her she is exploring testing your patience :) good luck!!
I've heard if you don't want your child to say ';no'; all of the time, you should try not to use that word around them. You should only use ';no'; when it's really important. Try using ';uh-uh'; or other variations of the word.
my daughter said the word ';hi'; over and over for a good 6 months or so. It is a phase. She says it over and over because she is getting a reaction. If you do not like it...just ignore it and react when she says something else.
Try not using it yourself. But I wouldn't be too concerned she'll soon start adding words and then you'll get no peace! ;]]





But it's so worth it when later they score well on vocabulary
babys are like a 15 year old adhd,retarded kid, just ignore em till they say something new
just encourage her to use other ones. show her how much fun it is to use other words. don't use no in front of her/he much

No comments:

Post a Comment