Saturday, August 21, 2010

Does anyone have some advice for me on moving my 81 yo mother in w/ me and selling her property?

I am moving to VA Beach, VA in March 07 and am bringing my 81 yo mother. She has a mobile home and land and does not drive. It is all paid for. I am already living with her as a caregiver and I got a better job in VA to help provide a better life for us. She has Medicaid and SS and cannot have any income or savings. I do not know what I can legally do with the money from the sale of the property. I have heard she can invest it? I have also heard that she can pay for tuition. How about a student loan that is being paid back? I know that she cannot give me more than $12k a year tax free. I also cannot put the property in my name and sell it for tax reasons. We are only talking about $50-60K at the most. Is there anyone in a similar situation that can provide guidance on how they handled it? I will appreciate any advice that is provided.Does anyone have some advice for me on moving my 81 yo mother in w/ me and selling her property?
I have been through this with my father.


Personally I would not move. Even if you got a better job somewhere, this is your mothers home. The stress of moving away from her home, memories, friends could put her into a state that could make her life much shorter (to put it nicely).


I am sure your mother would like to live out her life in her own home. After my father past on the house and land was sold.


My opinion is to stay put. The jobs will always be there. Your mother will not be.....Does anyone have some advice for me on moving my 81 yo mother in w/ me and selling her property?
Quit claim it to you, you rent it and have a management company handle the rents etc. Check around with a tax atty they can help.
Have her transfer the deed to you. You can sell it without the hassles.

No comments:

Post a Comment