Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mother/Daughter Advice?

I am writing a paper comparing %26amp; contrasting a poem from the 1970s that gives a huge list of dos/donts from a mother to her daughter.





For my comparison/contrast, I want to use a letter my mom wrote to me with advice before starting college as well as some sort of song or recent poem from a mother to a daughter. Any suggestions?Mother/Daughter Advice?
The only song I can think of from mother to daughter lyrics is that one about ';how can I help you say goodbye';, can't remember the artist. It was so sweet and sad. Mid 90's era?





It is about how the mother was always there, helping her through the hard times, saying goodbye to best friend when they moved, saying goodbye to BF who dumped her, saying goodbye to husband after divorce, and saying goodbye to HER (the mother) when she died.





There is another one...Coat of Many Colors? Dolly Parton...an oldie. It was more about a gift that her mother made, the kids teased her about it...how her mother taught her about priorities and values.





Shop Around...my momma told me...you better shop around. OLD, sorry!





There is a relatively new song, it is the girl calling from the road when she is poor then hits it big as a singer...';...Love, your baby girl...'; It is packed with advice, long distance concern between grown up kids and their parents.





All these country songs, I hope you like them!Mother/Daughter Advice?
Music forum here, HELLO!
I can think of a couple of songs from father to daughter and a couple where the mother gives advice about a specific situation (usually love) but only one song from mother to daughter about general topics. There is another one but its slipping my memory right now so here is the one I remember


I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack


I hope you never lose your sense of wonder


You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger


May you never take one single breath for granted


God forbid love ever leave you empty-handed


I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean


Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens


Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance


And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance





I hope you dance, I hope you dance





I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance


Never settle for the path of least resistance


Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin'


Lovin' might be a mistake, but it's worth makin'


Don't let some hell-bent heart leave you bitter


When you come close to sellin' out, reconsider


Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance


And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance





I hope you dance, I hope you dance


I hope you dance, I hope you dance


(Time is a wheel in constant motion, always rolling us along


Tell me who wants to look back on their years


And wonder, where those years have gone)





I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean


Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens


Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance


And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance





Dance, I hope you dance


I hope you dance, I hope you dance


I hope you dance, I hope you dance


(Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along


Tell me who wants to look back on their years


And wonder where those years have gone)

No comments:

Post a Comment